‘THE LUCY LADS’
‘The Lucy Lads’ is an informal group of ‘gentlemen’ who live in and around Hampton Lucy. We first got together in the Spring of 2011, with the simple intention of meeting up socially once a month, usually in the Boars Head.
There is a wide and varied range of interests, skills, and professions in the village. Meeting up enables us to get to know each other, exchange views and experiences, spin a few yarns, and generally put the world to rights over a pint, or a coffee. Some have lunch at the pub, others come for a while and slip away earlier. It’s just a matter of preference!
Individual interests almost inevitably lead to some fascinating trips out and about, visiting local and not-so-local engineering businesses, museums and sites of interest, viewing a railway engine, and even a day out on a canal boat.
It can’t be really called a club. We intentionally have few rules.
- No formal Chairman.
- No Committee.
- No membership fee.
- No age limit – however young or old, if you have the time and want to come along you will be more than welcome.
- No residential requirement – any ‘Lad’ at heart is welcome to join us.
- Nobody buys anybody else a drink – simply to avoid any potential embarrassment.
- No attendance requirement – turn up when you can.
- The only times when names and apologies are essential is when there is an outside visit arranged. We then need to confirm numbers, both for transport and out of courtesy to our hosts for the day.
The Lads meet in the bar of the Boars Head, Hampton Lucy, on the first Thursday of each month from 11.30am. There may be a trip out every two to three months. These are arranged by individual members, having floated the idea at an earlier meeting.
The list of the excursions enjoyed so far includes visits to Tyseley Railway Centre, Jaguar Cars at Castle Bromwich, Kier Recycling, the magnificent Sikh Temple in Leamington, Taylor’s Bell Foundry in Leicestershire, Bombardier Railway Works in Derby, a National Grid Gas Pumping Station, and many more.
If you would like to come along, don’t be shy. Simply turn up at the Boars Head, Hampton Lucy on the first Thursday of the month and you will be made very welcome. For further details call Jeremy on 01789 470911 or e-mail.